WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps in the world, with over 2 billion users. Many people use it for both personal and professional communication, but sometimes they may want to keep their identity and privacy protected from unknown contacts.
That’s why WhatsApp is working on a new feature called “alternate profile”, which will allow users to create a different profile photo and name for people outside their contact list.
What is the Alternate Profile Feature?
The alternate profile feature is a new option that will let users set a different name and profile photo for people who are not allowed to see their primary profile photo. This way, users can have a restricted profile that is visible only to their contacts, while displaying an alternate profile to others who may be viewing them on WhatsApp.
This feature is useful for users who frequently contact people beyond their everyday contacts, such as clients, colleagues, and industry peers. They won’t need to share their photo with them, but at the same time, they won’t be a photo-less profile either. This feature can also help users avoid unwanted attention, spam, or harassment from strangers who may try to contact them on WhatsApp.
WABetaInfo shared a post on Twitter:
📝 WhatsApp beta for Android 220.127.116.11: what’s new?
— WABetaInfo (@WABetaInfo) October 31, 2023
How to Use the Alternate Profile Feature?
The alternate profile feature is currently in testing in the beta version of the app and is not available in the stable version yet. However, according to WABetaInfo, a website that tracks WhatsApp updates, the feature will be available in the Profile menu. To use the alternate profile feature, users can follow these simple steps:
- Open the WhatsApp application.
- Navigate to settings > Privacy > Profile Photo
- Select ‘My Contacts’ to limit the visibility of your primary profile photo to only your contacts.
- Create an alternate profile with a different photo and name.
Once the feature is enabled, users will see a toggle button to switch between their primary and alternate profiles. They can also edit or delete their alternate profile at any time.
If you want to check out more articles related to WhatsApp. You can check the link below:
- WhatsApp Now Allows Multiple Accounts on the Same Device
- WhatsApp Rolls Out Passkey Support for Android Users
What Are the Benefits of the Alternate Profile Feature?
The alternate profile feature will offer several benefits to WhatsApp users, such as:
- Enhanced privacy and security: Users can protect their identity and personal information from unknown contacts, and prevent them from accessing their status, last seen, or online status.
- Better communication and professionalism: Users can create a more suitable profile for their work or business communication, and avoid confusion or misunderstanding with their contacts.
- More personalization and creativity: Users can have fun and express themselves with different profiles, and change them according to their mood, occasion, or preference.
What Are the Limitations of the Alternate Profile Feature?
The alternate profile feature is still in development and may have some limitations, such as:
- Compatibility issues: Users may not be able to see the alternate profiles of other users who are using older versions of the app, or different platforms such as iOS or Android.
- User feedback: Users may have different opinions or suggestions on how the feature should work, or what options it should offer. WhatsApp may need to collect user feedback and make improvements based on it.
- Legal and ethical concerns: Users may misuse the feature to impersonate or deceive others, or violate the terms and conditions of the app. WhatsApp may need to monitor and regulate the use of the feature and take action against any abuse or violation.
WhatsApp’s alternate profile feature is a new and innovative option that will give users more control over their privacy and identity on the app. It will also enable users to communicate better and more professionally with their contacts and have more fun and creativity with their profiles.
The feature is expected to roll out soon in a future update of the app. Until then, users can use the account switching feature to juggle between two WhatsApp accounts as a workaround.