On January 6, a Former Pence Chief of Staff Testified Before a Grand Jury Investigating Him

Marc Short, the former chief of staff to Vice President Mike Pence, testified before a federal grand jury investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the United States Capitol, according to Short. Short told ABC News’ Linsey Davis on Monday night that he was subpoenaed by a grand jury and complied with the subpoena, adding that he “really can’t talk further than that” on the advice of his legal counsel.

ABC News initially reported on Monday that Short had been before the grand jury last week. An ABC News camera filmed Short and his attorney, Emmet Flood, leaving D.C. District Court on Friday. Short is the highest-ranking Trump White House staffer to have testified in front of the grand jury.

Read More:

“I think that having the Capitol looted the way it was presented liability and danger,” he told Davis in the interview. “And I believe the Secret Service performed an outstanding job that day. I believe that the greater risk, notwithstanding how it was portrayed in the hearings last week, is that if the mob had gotten closer to the vice president, there would have been a slaughter in the Capitol that day.”

The United States Attorney’s Office declined to comment to ABC News. Greg Jacob, Pence’s former chief counsel, also testified before the grand jury, according to people familiar with his presence. ABC News reached out to Jacob and his attorney for comment, but neither answered.

Jacob gave his testimony during the committee’s recent public meeting on January 6. According to various sources familiar with the subject, the Department of Justice expanded its criminal investigation into the events of Jan. 6 to encompass preparations for the demonstration that followed the storming of the Capitol in March.

On January 6, a former Pence chief of staff testified before a grand jury investigating him
On January 6, a former Pence chief of staff testified before a grand jury investigating him

According to the sources, grand jury subpoenas were issued to those who helped organize and plan former President Donald Trump’s “Save America” rally on the Ellipse near the White House, with prosecutors seeking multiple records and documents related to the rally, including text messages and emails, as well as potential communications with other individuals regarding the event’s logistics.

“There is a lot of speculation about what the Justice Department is doing, what it isn’t doing, what our theories are and what our theories aren’t, and that speculation will continue,” U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said last week at a press conference. “We must hold accountable anyone who is criminally liable for attempting to overturn a legitimate election, and we must do it with integrity and expertise.”

During its public hearings, the House committee probing the Jan. 6 attack has presented much footage from Short’s deposition with committee investigators.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top