The last-gen and current-gen versions of Far Cry 6 are both available. There is a PC version as well. Only Ubisoft Connect and the Epic Games Store, two digital PC distribution channels, now offer it for sale. But will Far Cry 6 also be available on Steam?
The game’s availability on Ubisoft Connect makes sense. After all, Far Cry 6 was created and released by many Ubisoft divisions, and it is included with other Ubisoft titles. The Epic Games Store is another popular shopping destination for gamers. It makes sense that it is sold there as well because it includes numerous well-known games. However, the game is currently conspicuously absent from Steam.
The biggest digital gaming distribution channel is called Steam. Then why is Far Cry 6 missing from that list, and will it ever be released on Steam? Although there are still no definitive answers, it’s worthwhile to review other games in the series to see whether it’s a possibility.
The most recent entry in Ubisoft’s open-world shooter series is Far Cry 6. This time, the action takes place on Yara, a fictitious island. In typical Far Cry tradition, there are a wide variety of weapons and vehicles available to fulfill the mission of eliminating the terrible tyrant “El Presidente” Antón Castillo, who is the focus of the game.
On a seven-inch monitor, exploring the island, hunting animals, and releasing adversaries might seem like fun and excitement, but there’s a small problem. Players must find another method to access several Ubisoft titles on the Steam Deck because they aren’t all available on Steam.
Far Cry 6 and Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, two of Ubisoft’s most recent games, are now available on the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games Store instead of Steam. The decision was made, among other things, because Steam maintains 30% of game revenues, with the remaining 70% going to publishers. Additionally, the Epic store gives publishers more benevolent conditions, collecting only 12% while providing them with 88%.
Why A Far Cry 6 Steam Release Seems Likely (Eventually)
Consumers have options when it comes to PC gaming’s digital shops in many instances, but not always. Numerous well-known games are only distributed through the platform of their parent firm. An illustration. Battle.net is the only place to play Diablo 2: Resurrected on a PC. Exclusive agreements have previously been made between Epic Games and games on its marketplace. Typically, this leads to games that are momentarily exclusively available on their platform. These timed exclusive offers often run for six months to a year. This is a part of the company’s effort to take on Steam, which has long been the dominant force in PC digital distribution.
Will Far Cry 6 Release On Steam? | Screen Rant pic.twitter.com/6irjewfhh2
— Carlz Cedric (@CarlzCedric) October 21, 2021
For instance, A Total War Saga: TROY was exclusively accessible through the Epic Games Store when it was released in 2020. In fact, users who downloaded it within the first 24 hours were given it for free. This was covered by a business agreement between Epic and the game’s creator, Creative Assembly. Since 7.5 million individuals downloaded it in those 24 hours, it appears that the plan to reach a new audience was successful. Total War Saga: TROY was eventually released on Steam after a year of updates and DLC.
Although Far Cry 6 was not given out for free, it appears that Epic and Ubisoft came to a similar agreement. It seems probable that at some point the game will be made accessible on Steam as the other Far Cry series PC releases are already there. This can occur in six months or even a year. However, as some titles have been launched on the Epic Games Store but not on Steam, this is only conjecture. But given how well-liked the Far Cry series is, it’s probable that Far Cry 6 will ultimately be offered on Steam.
Will Steam Release Far Cry 6?
Far Cry 6 by Ubisoft will not be available on Steam, although it will still be available for PC through a number of other retailers. This is why. Ubisoft unveiled the Far Cry 6 gameplay reveal on March 28. This came after a teaser video that greatly increased excitement among fans of the series.
Does Far Cry 6 Provide Co-Op Or Multiplayer?
The Far Cry 6 unveiling included a number of innovations, including DIY vehicles, animal friends, and customizable weaponry. The game will support single-player and two-player co-op scenarios. Fans may probably expect to see additional information provided by Ubisoft as the release date draws near.